= 3-3.5 hours of homework/week (at a minimum) [reading times vary per individual, of course]
Argue the extent to which schools should incorporate leveling systems.
Argue the extent to which "college readiness" should be a defined goal of secondary education.
3 or more from our core list (Gladwell, Robinson, Jesness, Prose, Rose, O’Connor, Gitlin, Percy)3 or fewer of your own, including 2 graphics
HW: Read The Language of Composition Textbook
Chapter 3 on “Synthesizing Sources”
Read pages 61-67
Read pages 72-74 on “The Synthesis Essay”
Skim until pages 84-85 on “Incorporating Sources” – read closely.
3 or more from our core list (Gladwell, Robinson, Jesness, Prose, Rose, O’Connor, Gitlin, Percy or TEXTBOOK)3 or fewer of your own, including 2 graphics
Review the Toulmin approach to argument analysis.
1. Introduction – clear thesis
2. Statement of the case – story behind the argument; background information so we understand the context of the issue
3. Refutation – acknowledges opposition and refutes or minimizes those ideas
4. Development of your argument with support
5. Conclusion – call to action (kairos)
Ethics (ethos): you are fair, honest, well-informed; allude to big names; consider morality; avoid complaining, avoid over-use of negative words; don’t whine (“explain, don’t complain”)
Emotion (pathos): an emotional appeal; narrates an anecdote, uses description; makes the reader experience an emotion *happiness, pride, anger, etc.
· Analyze and interpret samples of good writing, identifying and explaining an author’s use of rhetorical strategies and techniques.
· Apply effective strategies and techniques in their own writing.
King: We are part of a brotherhood of humanity, regardless of race, geography, or religion. We should work to uplift human personality in whatever way we can, as ‘co-workers with God.'
Journal Check from 4/5-4/25
DNA as Destiny - journals
“The Bird and the Machine” Question #4 in 1-2 paragraphs handed in to Group
“Super-Toys” (up to page 669 or end) - journals optional*
Read pgs. 529-533 (Orwell) & journals
Read "Corn-Pone Opinions" (717-720) and journal
Rachel Carson Journals
Tannen journals for Gender due 4/25
“On Being a Man” journals "