Upcoming College Fairs
- September 27, 2018 - Penn State Brandywine will be hosting the annual PACAC Delaware County Regional College Fair on Thursday, September 27th, 2018 from 6:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. This fair is considered the "kick-off" to the recruitment season in Delaware County. Over 140 post-secondary institutions from around the country are expected to attend. For more information, click here: Delaware County Regional College Fair
- October 6, 2018 - Tyler School of Art, Temple University will host 20 colleges and universities with undergraduate and graduate degree programs in the built environment at The Philadelphia Architecture and Design Fair on Saturday, October 6, 2018 from 11:00 a.m to 2:00 p.m. Registration for this event ends on October 5, 2018 and is highly recommended. For additional information, click this link: Philadelphia Architecture & Design Fair
- October 23, 2018 - Delaware County Christian School will host the Suburban Philadelphia Christian College Fair on Tuesday, October 23, 2018 at 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. For more information, click on the link: Christian College Fairs.
- October 14, 2018 - The Pennsylvania Convention Center will host the Philadelphia National College fair on Sunday, October 14, 2018 from 11 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Click here for more information: Philadelphia National College Fair
- November 6, 2018 - The annual NACAC Philadelphia Performing and Visual Arts College Fair willl be held on Tuesday, November 6, 2018 from 7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m at Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts (PAFA) For additional information, click this link: Philadelphia Performing and Visual Arts College Fair
- November 4, 2018 - Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts will host Philadelphia's National Portfolio Day on Sunday, November 4, 2018 from 12:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. at the Pennsylvania Convention Center, Exhibit Hall E. National Portfolio Day is an event specifically for visual artists and designers. It is an opportunity for those who wish to pursue an education in the visual and related arts to meet with representatives from colleges accredited by the National Association of Schools of Art and Design. Representatives will be available to review your artwork, discuss their programs and answer questions about professional careers in art. Click here for more information: National Portfolio Day
- April 8, 2019 - The Main Line Regional College Fair will be held at Villanova University in The Pavilion on Monday, April 8, 2019 from 6:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. For over three decades, Villanova University, in conjunction with the Pennsylvania Association of College Admission Counseling (PACAC) has hosted the Main Line College Fair. With nearly 300 colleges in attendance, this is a great opportunity for local students to start their college search by learning more about the colleges and universities that they are interested in.
College Planning Tips & Ideas
Many students use part of their summer vacation to make campus visits. Students are encouraged to enhance this visit by sitting in on a class, eating in the dining hall, reading the school newspaper, talking with students as well as talking with professors who teach within your intended major. If it is possible make it an overnight visit. Take pictures and take notes of your visit as well. All of the information gathered during these visits may be used during the application process as students describe why they have targeted a particular school.
Click here to access the PHS College Visit Request form and the PHS College Visit checklist.
A recent study by the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth found that 25 percent of college admissions offices admit to using search engines such as Google, Yahoo and MSN to research potential students and that 20 percent look for the same information on social networking sites such as Instagram, Twitter, Etc. These revelations should be enough motivation for all students to carefully review the information that is posted on-line.
Don't post anything on the web that you wouldn't want a college admissions rep to read. We encourage students to avoid profanity or questionable photos. In short, present your best possible self to any on-line visitors to your web page.
The Academic Index is a mathematical calculation used by the Ivies as well as other elite schools to evaluate students. The index takes into account SAT scores, SAT II scores, well as class rank. It is can be a useful tool to show students how well they may compare to fellow applicants. The Academic Index does not take into account letters of recommendation, extra curricular activities as well as other intangibles, but it is helpful to students applying to elite colleges and universities.