• Alert:

    Community Transmission - HIGH - Masks required by all K-12 - Covid FAQ

Close alert

Accessing the Public Mental Health System


If you have Medical Assistance (ACCESS) for your child, you can set up an appointment with any of the area providers that accept medical assistance to get an assessment of your child’s needs.  Crozer Community Campus- Child & Family Services (610-497-7595) is the local community mental health center.  They provide intake assessments, medication management with a psychiatrist, ongoing outpatient therapy (individual, couples, family), and case management.  Crozer now has open intake hours Monday through Friday 8am - noon at 301 W 15th St, Chester, PA 19013.  Child Guidance Resource Centers, Havertown, PA (484-454-8700) also has open intake hours Monday through Friday from 9am - 2pm.  (The hours and program are subject to change so please call ahead.)  If you are interested in a different provider, please contact the behavioral health customer service number on the back of your insurance card.

If you have private insurance, contact the behavioral health customer service number on the back of your card or look on your insurance company's website for a list of participating counseling providers.

If your child is already receiving mental health services through your private insurance and it is decided that your child needs higher levels of service that your insurance does not cover then you can request an “extended assessment.”  (Your child will need coverage through medical assistance for this program.)  This is an intensive (up to 24 hours) assessment where a master’s level clinician and a case manager evaluate your child at home, in school and in the community.  It takes between 30 to 60 days to complete the assessment.  Upon completing the evaluation, the team will make recommendations for services and get the services set up for you.  There are two providers authorized to provide extended assessments.  They are Child Guidance Resource Centers (484-454-8700) and Elwyn (610-558-8100). 

If you have general questions about this process, please contact Bernadette Dacanay, Home and School Visitor (610-627-6197).  If you should have any difficulty accessing services, you can contact the Delaware County Office of Behavioral Health (610-713-2365) and ask for the CASSP Coordinator or Assistant CASSP Coordinator.  Also, you can get more detailed information about children's behavioral health services at https://www.pccy.org/issues/child-health/behavioral-health/ which is sponsored by Public Citizens for Children and Youth.