The students in fourth through fifth grades will be doing fitness testing. We test for cardiovascular conditioning (1/2 mile run), abdominal strength (sit-ups), upper body strength (push-ups, pull-ups, and/or flexed arm hang) and flexibility (sit and reach).
The Physical Fitness Program includes six events that measure muscular strength, muscular endurance, cardio-respiratory endurance, speed, agility and flexibility.
- Push-ups: This measures upper body strength and endurance by maximum number of push-ups completed.
- Pull-ups: This measures upper body strength and endurance by maximum number of pull-ups completed.
- Flexed-Arm Hang: If a student cannot do a pull-up, this test is performed. This test measures the amount of time a student can maintain a flexed-arm hang position.
- Curl-ups: This measures abdominal strength and endurance by the number of curl-ups performed in one minute.
- Endurance Run/Walk: This measures heart and lung endurance by fastest time to cover a 1/2 mile distance.
- Sit and Reach: This measures flexibility of lower back and hamstrings.
Physical fitness testing includes five events that measure muscular strength, muscular endurance, cardiorespiratory endurance, speed, agility and flexibility. Pre-testing begins in the fall. Once the students have their pre-test scores, they set achievable goals for final testing in the spring. Throughout the school year the students work on improving their fitness levels to reach and surpass their goals!
This program helps assess the current fitness level of youth, and offers awards to encourage them to stay active.
- Excellence - This award recognized youths who achieve an outstanding level of physical fitness. Students who score at or above the 85th percentile of qualifying standards on all five events are eligible for this award.
- Achievement- This award is for those who score at or above the 50th percentile on all five events, but fall below the 85th percentile in one or more of the events. This demonstrates a basic, yet challenging, level of physical fitness.
- Improvement Award - This award is for those students who remain at or improve in all five tests from their fall to spring score.