Working Papers

  • Child Labor Law requires students to obtain an employment certificate before initiating full-time or part-time work. This is true until a student reaches 18 years of age or a high school graduate. Students must be at least 16 years old and have a job in order to secure a general employment certificate for full- time work. Students must be at least 14 years old to secure a part-time or vacation certificate ofr work done after school or during vacation - including summer vacation time.

    Working Papers are available in the Main Office 7:30 a.m - 2:30 p.m. Parents are required to display appropriate student identification to receive Working Papers (birth certificate, baptismal certificate or passport). Work Release, the ability to leave school early each day, is only available to Penncrest seniors and is contingent on the student's academic standing and scheduling needs.

    Part-time employment during the school year may have an impact on a student's achievement and co-curricular participation. Recent research suggests that student employment in excess of 15 hours per week during the school year may adversely affect high school students' academic performance and investment in school, especially among students who begin working when they are sophomores and juniors.