• Medical Assistance or ACCESS is available at no cost.

    Eligibility categories:

    • children with disabilities (this category includes physical, emotional, behavioral disorders and children who require physical or occupational therapy)
    • low-income families
    • pregnant women

    Where to find an application:

    Printable applications are available on-line from the Department of Human Services homepage http://www.dhs.pa.gov Return completed applications to: Delaware County Assistance Office, 701 Crosby St., Suite A, Chester, PA 19013-6099.  phone: 610-447-5500

    You can apply on-line at http://www.compass.state.pa.us  If you are applying for a child with a disability, make sure that you include your child's disability (speech, learning needs, behavioral health diagnosis, physical health diagnosis) when they ask if anyone applying has a disability. 

    Will my income be used to determine my child’s eligibility?

    MAYBE- If your child has a disability then the parents’ income will NOT be used to determine eligibility.  The State requires your income just for statistical purposes.

    For the other eligibility categories, the parents’ income will be counted.

    Why do I need Medical Assistance for my child who has a disability?

    There are services that your child can receive through Medical Assistance that your private insurance will not cover.  Also, the school district can bill Medical Assistance for some services provided in school and receive additional funds to provide new services through special education programming.

    You will need to send in copies of the following with your application:

    • child’s birth certificate
    • parents’ driver’s license, other State issued ID or voter registration card
    • utility bill with current address (verification of address)
    • child’s social security card
    • parent’s social security card
    • doctor’s report stating the child’s disability (must include severity, diagnosis, length of disability, etc.) *can use the ER (evaluation report) for a special education student
    • pay stubs/wage verification for last 30 days

    Once you submit the application, you should receive notification of your child’s eligibility within 30 days. If you need help completing the application or have any additional questions, please contact the Home and School Visitor or the Child Health Watch Helpline at 215-563-5848 x17 or http://www.pccy.org/issues/child-health/insurance/ .  

    If your child has a disability and will need assistance with healthcare as an adult, access the PA Department of Health's guide for transition-age youth.