The Language Instruction Educational Program (LIEP)
The LIEP program within the Rose Tree Media School District is designed for all English Learners (EL) to have equitable access to academic content for all courses in which they are enrolled. Regardless of the program model(s), the LIEP programs within the Rose Tree Media School District are:
- aligned to state academic content standards for the appropriate grade level of the ELs.
- Includes English Language Development (ELD) instruction delivered by properly certified teachers who hold an ESL program specialist certificate or who are working in conjunction with ESL certified teachers.
- incorporate the use of the PA English Language Development Standards.
- provide equitable access to content for ELs at all language proficiency levels by providing research-based “push-in” or sheltered instruction with fidelity, not limiting the enrollment of ELs in any course or academic program for which they would otherwise be eligible.
These program models are incorporated into the entirety of the student’s daily instructional time. The programs are designed to meet the needs of varying levels of students at varying levels and building configurations. The program model(s) and resources used are based on research and sound educational theory. The LIEP is evaluated each year as a federal requirement but also as a district requirement to keep the programs up to date and focus on student needs and research-based instruction.
Method of Instruction
- Content-based English Language Learner (EL)/English as a Second Language Instruction is provided in English only and adapted to a student’s English proficiency level. This instructional method is used to make academic instruction in English understandable for English learners. This will help them acquire proficiency in English while at the same time achieving content areas.
- Pull-Out English Language Learner (EL)/English as a Second Language (ESL) Instruction is provided when the student leaves the regular classroom during the day for ELL/ESL instruction.
- Instruction is to match the Academic core as well as focus on the PA ELDS. Instruction in the pull out model is not replacement for the general education curriculum but rather supplements and supports the curriculum.